Sunday, July 28, 2013

Thank you Dale Melcher for My Aha Moment



Hello Sisters,

I hope all is well. I would like to share my "aha moment.”   Also, send out much love and thanks  to Dale Melcher.

               July 2011 was my first experience of UALE Summer School.  Dale was my Leadership Skills instructor.  We had a discussion on “How to engage members in volunteering.”  I was one of the players and convinced my sister to volunteer.  I just knew it was going to be as easy as pie.  Wrong.

I worked over a year trying to get the members to volunteer for union activities.  The turnout was low or no one showed.  What was I doing wrong?  I had my list.  I had given the date and time. 

Aha!!!  What was it that Dale said?  “A member may say yes but, the steward still must follow through.”   
Maybe there were childcare issues, or work issues that caused a change in their schedule.
Participation has increased.  Although, I may know, a members schedule, I remember Dale's instructions;
follow up.

Thanks again, UALE Summer School for Dale and my aha moment.

 

In Solidarity,

Peggy Johns

No comments:

Post a Comment