Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Shoulder to Shoulder

Ok.  I admit it.  I was a little late to the poster making class this evening, but for the best of reasons… I was doing my homework for the Union Building workshop and had got caught up in the nonsense intricacies of my local’s constitution and bylaws.    

The cynical voice inside my head was mocking the arts and crafts-iness of the program.  But then  I started looking around at what the other women were creating from some colored paper and markers.  It was looking pretty nifty.  I got into it.  I embraced my inner kindergardener, the one who loved to color and paste.  I made my sign, it wasn’t too bad.  Cool, I thought.  Fun.  What the amazing artists back at my local could do with this!  I thought.  The cynical voice had dulled down to a low whisper and was muttering on about how my sign wasn’t really that great.  I started getting a little down about my sign.The colors were wrong, it should be more creative, it wasn't perfect. Then everyone gathered up in the front of the room for a photograph with their signs and the light bulb went on!

We are, none of us, all that great on our own.  But standing together, shoulder to shoulder, with these signs we had literally just whipped up in an hour, what an impact!  What a beautiful thing, a cohesive whole from many disparate, imperfect parts.  

We are Union!

No comments:

Post a Comment