Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What I learned about myself at labor summer camp

I'm a beach girl at heart from Orange County and attempting to cultivate a more meaningful, thoughtful life than my contemporaries on "The O.C." by advocating on behalf of education professionals and all working families. I made a promise this week to start using my online voice to help change the narrative from public employee unions are "draining the state budgets" to all workers should at least earn a livable wage, pension, and quality health insurance (hopefully a single payer system will pass in my lifetime?). I used to get so upset with the perceived lack of action and poor visibility from union members and their leaders. Often I catch myself wondering, where is there a space for our voices since the main stream media is not telling OUR stories. So here I am trying to create one. This is an experiment of sorts and a challenge to overcome my fears of publishing my thoughts in printed word. Yesterday, I had the honor of learning about a young Russian immigrant, Ida Jukofsky who was only 19 years old when she lost her life in the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire 100 years ago. Her memory is my inner strength and guiding force.

No comments:

Post a Comment