Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Finally I am on...

Hi everyone,
I am Linda, a UUP Vice President for Academics, who has been an active member since 2006 when 2 people in my department were let go. If it weren't for the union, I would have been let go! That incident made me realize the importance of the union. I have always worked in private industry, so learning about and working in a union are relatively new to me.

This is my first summer school and I am enjoying it...I have taken a lot of classes over the years, but none about labor relations and the labor movement. It's a tough time for unions, so we need to mobilize and activate our members. In my union, those who do step up usually have a problem and need help; otherwise, most members are silent and inactive.

At dinner last night, I sat with sisters from Baltimore, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. We discussed our governors and what they are doing to unions. I ask people what their union does to send them to summer school. Some get paid to attend and others like me use our vacation. There is such diversity amongst the unions as far as structure and how they are organized. It was a surprise to me to learn that now is actually a good time to organize unions...it make sense since the economy is so bad, but it takes courage for workers in this type of atmosphere to form a union!

It's also great to see such diversity amongst the sisters here at the summer school. I am too used to seeing mostly white faces in the group whether it's at work or hiking or playing tennis or going to the ballet, orchestra or the opera. 

Well, it's time for fun night to begin...I am one of two bloggers covering fun night, so I will post again later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment