Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Gail Rogers' Bio

It seems hard to believe that I am 61 years old. Where did all the years go? It seems like only yesterday that I was in high school preparing to go to college. Most days I don't feel old but then I look in the mirror or I look across the room at my husband of 37 years.

There was so much I wanted to do and haven't so far. My bucket list is long. There are some regrets, but for the most part I am happy with my life and what I have accomplished.

I have a wonderful son who has grown into an outstanding young man who makes me and my husband proud.

I am also very proud of what I have accomplished in my union. I was the first short hour member to become a member of our Local's Executive Board. I was the first short hour member to become a Business Agent. In 2002, I became the Secretary Treasurer of my union representing more than 4000 Macy's workers.

But what makes me proudest of my union involvement has been the ability to help workers. The times I was able to return members to their jobs after being wrongly discharged, and the times I was able to recover lost monies for members who were incorrectly paid are the things that gave me the most satisfaction.

It won't be long before I will pass the torch to younger members who hopefully will have the same desire to help workers. Maybe then I will be able to get to do some of the things on my list. Until then I will continue to help workers in their time of need and also help to educate those who will follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment