Thursday, July 30, 2015

Mis hermanas en solidaridad

This summer school is very diverse in nationality. There are people here from Jamaica, Trinidad, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Dominican Republic, Colombia and some nationalities of sisters I didn't have the opportunity to get to know better.

I met up with two of our sisters, Germania Hernandez and Olga Morales, who spoke nothing but Spanish, when I first arrived here on campus. We all were at the wrong building for registration. When they were struggling to ask me a question in English, I asked them, "Hablas Espanol?" they were relieved that they were not alone. The UALE school provided them with interpreters for the daily activites, but it was astounding how many here already are bilingual. I met up with them at the picnic on Tuesday evening to ask them a few questions. We were sitting in a group of Spanish-speaking sisters enjoying the relaxing atmosphere. Although I do speak some, I would like to thank Mary Bellman for interpreting for me.

1. Where are you from and where do you work?

OM: I am Columbian, and I am an organizer with New Labor.
GH: I am Dominican, and I am also an organizer with New Labor.

2. Are there a lot of women in your organization?

GH: There are lots of women, about 70%. In Lakewood, NJ, they are almost all female. There are about 2900 people in our organization, and most are women and largely Hispanic.

3. What is the largest concern of your organization?

GH: We fight for workers rights. We represent domestic workers. Their demands are simple. One is to not have to clean on their hands and knees. Some can barely walk due to the work on their hands and knees. Other concerns are just as serious as their health: sexual assault and wage theft.

4. How did you hear about the UALE school?

GH: We were invited by the UALE school. They went to my boss and my boss send Olga and me.

5. What is one thing you learned so far that you will take back to your sisters at home?

GH:  Since I am new at unionism, that is hard. I didn't realize there were so many women in unions. I would say that learning of the 40 year history of the existance of UALE is the biggest one. Something that lasts this long must be very good.

6. Do you think that you will come back to the UALE Summer School again in the future?

GH:  (laughs) We will see what the boss says.

Thanks to these lovely ladies from New York for coming to the UALE school and enlightening us with your very unique perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment