Monday, July 30, 2012

Courage to Change

Today I saw my life completely through new eyes with such clarity that I didn’t see before.  For much of my adult life, I have been seeking ways to grow and be a great contributor to society. As a Union member I have been introduced to new ideas and have been given many opportunities to grow. This is why I believe in our family of UNIONS. I strongly believe that we do work best together. Thus far I feel that all the classes have given me a better guide to be influential and learn from many women that made history. This week I have learned more about the Bread and Roses Strike. My leadership class was named after Rose Scheiderman. I am amazed to know how much courage she had. She was a great advocate for many women and eventually helped shape our labor movement.

I believe that no matter where we are in life, this seminars will help all of us go back home and reflect what permanent change we want to see in our lives and our unions.

It's pretty scary when you sit down and think about it. It takes COURAGE to make a difference. I will be grateful to all the mentors that have contributed passionately to this year’s UALE summer school. Thank you for helping me find the COURAGE to change and make no excuses to not be GREAT!
“Courage is resistance of fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.” ~ Mark Twain
"One man(Woman) with courage is a majority". ~ Thomas Jefferson 
"Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can’t practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage”. ~Maya Angelou


 In solidarity,
Julia Portillo

No comments:

Post a Comment