Tuesday, July 31, 2012

     So here we are...a "FREE" night!  I am so thankful.  It gives me a chance to step away and reflect on what I have seen, what I have heard, what I have felt, and what I have learned. 
    I had no expectations because I honestly didn't know what to expect!  I have been surprised at every turn.  I drove 6 hours to get here and all the while wondering what it would be like and feeling a little overwhelmed and intimidated.  I don't feel that way anymore.  I have never felt so welcome by a group of people in my life.  There are no walls and no boundries'  We are all accepted.  No matter our profession, union, religion, etc.  We all matter and we all make a difference. 
     I have seen friendships be born right before my eyes.  I have heard intimate details of lives that were painful, but shared anyways....making me know that I am not alone.  I have felt, above all else, equality and acceptance.  And there isn't enough space here to tell you what I have learned over the last few days....I have brain overload!  But that is why I came here.  To learn about things that I could take back to my fellow sisters in my area.  And you know... the classes are wonderful but the most valuable things that I have learned here were not from the classes.  I cannot wait to go back and tell my fellow sisters that we are not alone.  We are not fighting this fight by ourselves.  There are women from all walks of life that feel and think the way that we do.  That want a better world for our children.  That want better working conditions.  That want equal wages to mens.  That want the sexual harrassment to stop.  That want our employers to be fair.  I could go on and on, but I know you know what I am talking about. 
     We are powerful women, but even more powerful together!  I am glad that I have had this opportunity to be a part of this.  I will go back to my little world with a different outlook on life.  A much better outlook...Thank you ladies....you are all amazing to me!

Midge Guererri
CSEA

No comments:

Post a Comment