Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Hopeful for a Better Tomorrow




By Sheron Whitter
1199SEIU UHE Organizer
New York 

I arrived at UALE Summer School Saturday with no expectations. One thing that I was not expecting was how summer school would give me fresh energy and stir my passion profoundly for social and economic justice. The weekend kicked off with a discussion on Saturday evening around the “me too” movement that was awesome. 


Sunday was so much more interesting as we dived into discussions of the progression for work and wages since the 1900s. I believe the labor movement was the catalyst to the progress and forming of unions. I also believe that there are not enough concerted and coordinated efforts within today’s labor movement to build legislative power to secure “union rights”. There was and have always been a hidden, strategic agenda to take the rights of working people backwards. The Janus vs AFSCME case and it’s ruling by the Supreme Court is a direct result of this agenda. This has made me really ANGRY.


However, after listening to so many women speaking out on the inequities they face and sharing their experiences as it relates to social and economic injustices and EQUALITY FOR ALL, I am EXCITED and HOPEFUL. Women are making huge contributions at work and in their communities every day. 
With the continued strength, action and collaboratives of each of us working together, I am convinced there will be a better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment