Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Break Time with Legacy Sisters

By Maytté Martinez 

The following blog post is inspired by sisters who have energized and empowered me throughout my first UALE Northeastern Summer School. This is an interview with sister Susan Tindall.



Interview @ Labor History Night

1.Where/When did you start your career in the union?
I went to work for the workers union out of Bloomingdales Local 3of the United Store Worker Union in 1984. 

2. What union did you belong to?
DC37 AFSCME, which is the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees NYC.

3. Are there any other women from your union that have inspired you or mentored you?
Founding mother Ida Torres held the distinction of going to every school since 1974. 
I was the shop steward and sat in negotiations with Ida as the secretary of Treasure, it was like watching a tennis match. Watching the negotiations as Ida was across the table from Bloomingdales’ management was nail biting. She was short in stature but a killer. 

4. What changes would you like to see in the union? 
I will wait to see people get angry. Take it to the streets! 

5. Something to live by or any final thoughts?
I’d just like to say a very special thanks to everyone who lent a helping hand. To everyone who snatched my stuff out of my hands and carried it for me. To all those who just checked to ask if I was ok. To each and everyone of you that filled my heart with love and gratitude. To all who never allowed me to stagger alone, I say “Thank You.” I love you all to pieces. There is nothing like the company of my sisters!


Leadership is not a title, it is an action.


1 comment: