Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Food: A highlight of my Summer School experience!



Foods! Yay!!! This is how excited I was when I got to dinner on Saturday evening at UMass Amherst at the 42nd Northeast Summer School for Women in Unions and Worker Organizations.  
As I took the bus from Port-Authority to Massachusetts I did not get to take lunch, so I was looking forward to eat. Burritos, tacos, black beans and corn salad, pinto beans, rice were on the menu. People went for second and third plate, after my second plate I was satisfied not because I was full but the food was very palatable.

Sunday morning we headed to the Franklin Dining Commons, I was amazed at the variety of foods that was there. I took a look at the screen to see some information on permaculture which is a system of cultivation intended to maintain permanent agriculture by relying on renewable resources. So, the foods used to prepare our meals are locally grown on a self-sustaining ecosystem. Even the utensils are certified compostable. That resonates with my values for a cleaner planet.

Monday and Tuesday lunch was at the Campus Center Blue Wall. Again, this cafeteria reflects the diversity that exists in the US; it was very difficult to make a choice. Yum! Bakery, Wasabi, Green Fields, Famous Famiglia are among the different choices that we have. Even if I were a student here, I would not be bored eating here; and the food is delicious, savory, and healthy.

I came to Summer School to learn about leadership in unions, now I am writing a blog about foods. That fact became the highlight of my stay, since I love foods, and I enjoy eating a good meal. Oh, by the way the desserts were flavorful and enticing!

No comments:

Post a Comment